7.19.2007

Little House in the Suburbs

Day 1: The internet guy came out to fix the internet; while he was doing so he broke the phones.

Day 2: No phones, no internet. I feel like Laura Ingalls Wilder.

Day 3: Internet guy comes back and fixes internet and phones. Whole family breaths collective **sigh** of relief.


What did we do back in the "good old days"? We knit, of course! Well, at least some of our fore-mothers and fore-fathers did. My mom tells me that around the time of the depression her father used to knit socks for the whole family. And I can remember my Dad crocheting us kids simple booties to wear around the house. Little did these guys know they were so ahead of their time! I taught my son how to knit when he was in 5th grade, but am forbidden from mentioning it to anyone under 20. (I know you won't tell.) He's actually pretty good -- he learned the longtail cast-on in one session. Of course he knits opposite of me -- American and tight (I'm continental and loose) -- go figure.

So, while the electronics were down, I started thinking about making another needle roll, something that I could use specifically for lace knitting. I piled up some fabrics that looked promising:


A little silk, a little cotton. A dish towel I like. Design-wise, I'm thinking of doing something similar to my all-purpose crochet hook roll-up:




-- but with more different types of compartments for circulars, dps, and a zip pocket for stitch markers and whatnot. I'm still at the putting-it-on-paper stage right now, but I'll keep you posted.

No comments: