1.08.2008

Did you ever have one of those days . . .

. . . when the Christmas tree is still up and threatening to spontaneously combust, and the kitchen looks like a bomb went off (which it sort of did; more on that later), and you're still in your pajamas at noon-ish and every plant in the house looks like it hasn’t been watered in a month (which it hasn’t), and the public library is about ready to hunt you down with bloodhounds and an elephant gun to get back that monstrous stack of overdue books moldering by the back door . . .

. . . And you think: Wow! What a swell day to catch up on my blog! As a matter of fact, why not make a public proclamation? Officially, January 8 is now Catch up on Your Blog (C.U.O.Y.B.) Day. I’ve never been any good at snappy acronyms. First off:

New yarn! Old projects! Really old projects!
(some clickable)

Somehow or another, an aggressive band of houligan yarn has breached my security perimeter and infiltrated my house. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. Offenders include:

Jojoland Melody Superwash, color #17
I saw this Swiss Cheese Scarf (free pattern by Winnie Shih) on Ravelry and had to have one immediately. However, this is NOT mindless knitting, as some Ravelry comments indicate. There is a 17 row pattern repeat which you do need to follow. It’s an easy pattern, but it ain’t mindless. As an adjective, I think “mindless” is way overused in the knitting community. Either that or I’m this village’s idiot.


Brooks Farm Yarn Duet
I originally bought this yarn for me, but when it arrived, it screamed the name of a RELATIVE, damn it. I tried reasoning with it, but come to find out the yarn has been to Sunday school. “It is better to give than to receive,” said this lovely mélange of mohair and merino. Crap. It is going to be another clapotis.


Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Moose Creek
Alright, alright, I bought this mainly because I am THIS close to completing my frequent shopper card at Table Rock Llama & Fiber Arts, which is kind of a big deal. You spend $200 at Table Rock, and they give you a gift certificate for $40! Also, I do really like the yarn . . . um, until it turned aggressive on me and threatened to shave my cat unless I brought it home. Immediately.

Debbie Mumm Traditions in Midnight
I never knew what “worming” was until I met this yarn. Bad, bad yarn. No soup for you! It went right back to Joann Fabrics. What was I thinking, buying mystery yarn at Joann Fabrics?



(clickable)

Old Shale Smoke Ring (by Cosette Cornelius-Bates)
... in Malabrigo lace weight Verde
I really enjoyed this project. My pattern notes: knit 10” on a #6 circular, 6” on a #7, and 6” on a #8 to finish. I wanted a lo-oo-ong smoke ring, so that when I use it as a hood it still has plenty of fabric to cover the back of the neck and upper back. Also, used a loose sewn bind-off for a super-stretchy edge. Sometimes I wish I could live in a cave lined with Malabrigo lace weight. I’d be the grouchy one yelling at the other cave-dwellers’ kids to get their rocks and pointy sticks out of my yard.


Shoulder Cozy from Wrap Style
...in some really nice Reynolds yarn I can’t remember the name of …
This has been finished for a dog’s age, but I’ve never like the way it fits. I’ve decided it needs a good blocking: pins, wires, other instruments of discipline. . .


Eunny Jang’s Anemoi mittens in koigu print and Knit Picks bare. One mitten done. Fun Pattern . Need to re-do the thumb on this one; I knit it too short. Don't you just hate that?



Adrian Bizilia’s We Call Them Pirates hat for Techboy.
Here you see him wearing it on his 17th birthday. I tried to make him a from-scratch chocolate cake earlier in the day, and the $%^! Thing literally blew up in my oven. So he ended up with a turtle cheesecake from King Soopers. Tasty.


Not tasty.

And my Ballerina is done! Since real life (ack.) is calling, I will save that saga for tomorrow. Cheers all.

No comments: