7.31.2007

Offending Innocent Alpaca and Spinning Omni-gauge Yarn

So I had my second spinning lesson. During which Sandy looked at my yarnish globs, and then made a few adjustments to increase the amount of twist I was getting on my yarn. Turns out that unlike most new spinners, I didn't have enough spin in my yarn, thus the problem with it falling apart like 8-year-old underpants. I did manage to spin a yarn-like substance:

Which I swatched into this:
Now, if you look closely (?!), you'll see that this yarn has no discernible gauge. Or rather, it contains all gauges in a very small area. Sandy calls it "designer yarn," which I appreciate, but I'm pretty sure that only a designer suffering from severe astigmatism would put her name on this.

The purple yarn is a nice corriedale blend, which I get along with better than the (slicker) merino or alpaca. Although, after seeing Sandy's little alpaca herd, I felt a little bit guilty.

"Really -- you would rather spin wool???"


I guess that's okay. **Sigh** . . .

don't give it another thought . . .

**Sob!** All this gorgeous micron count . . . for nothing!!

I tried to reassure them that, hopefully, some day I would be coordinated enough to spin alpaca, but they just gazed at me with their huge liquid eyes. Sure lady. That's what all the rotten sheep-lovers say.

No comments: