8.01.2007

New & Improved MS3 Photos, Slytherin Kitty, & Spinning the Day Away

I haven't been happy with most of my shawl photos. The reddish-purple variegated color is really hard to capture, especially when my camera is broken and I'm using my son's -- his is a lot more fangled than mine. So I took purple merino glob outside today and flopped him on a bush. The results are a little "Kodachrome," but the shawl color is right on:
( Clickable if you want the Texas-sized version)

Since I have to return my loaner wheel tomorrow, I decided to spend as much of today as possible spinning. Or at least attempting to spin.

Have you heard those stories about how one day you're spinning like a 10-thumbed baboon and the next you're zipping along like some flaxen haired chick straight out of a Grimm's fairy tale? Well, that would still not be me. HOWEVER, thanks to patient instruction and perseverance, I am improving. Part of what I spun today was suspiciously yarn-like. Not the fingering weight alpaca of my dreams, but a "thick & thin" (read: "Everything from laceweight to bulky on one skein") yarn that is flirting with the fringes of respectability:

(also clickable)


And it actually is alpaca. For some reason, everything else gave me fits today (merino, corriedale, mystery wool), but the Alpaca clipped along as smooth as buddah. Wait 'til Sandy's herd hears about this! They will have to cancel the contract they have out on me.

Also, the entire day the cat has been extremely entertaining. Bailey isn't a kitty Rhodes Scholar or anything, but he is what my mom calls "a character." I made him a little kitty toy out of some over-twisted singles. He played:

He looked very alert for about 30 seconds . . .
My, but that roving looks delicious. Smells interesting, too.

. . . and then he slept.
And I put a woolly purple "S" on his tummy,
and told him he looked like the Slytherin quidditch team mascot.

But then my son walked past and informed me that Slytherin's colors are green and grey. Oh well.

No comments: