8.02.2007

Wheels within Wheels

clickable for close-up

There was a message yesterday from someone on the MS3 list who was having a hard time keeping her place in the chart. This was my #1 problem when I started. Again and again I would lose stitches, gain stitches, lose rows (??) and rip, rip, rip.

I came up with a system which is all about overkill, but it works for me. I thought I’d do a little tutorial for anyone having “issues” with keeping their place in MS3 charts. First, as soon as the clue is released, I color my charts. Every stitch (except knits) has a color code:

Green: k2tog
Orange: ssk
Yellow: yo
Pink solid: bead placement
Pink “X”: s1, k2tog, psso

Also, I divide each chart into 10-stitch columns, mark these with a sharpie, and color every other one light blue (hard to see this in the photos). I isolate the center stitch, and the two columns on either side of the center stitch have only 9 stitches each (this keeps my stitch count accurate).

I don't tape the 2 charts together, but rather put one chart on each side of a magnetic chart holder (thanks to Linda from my local Ms3 group for this tip).

I set up stitch markers on my stole so that they correspond exactly with the columns on my chart:

All the pretty stitch markers, all in a row . . .

with the center stitch all by himself, the introvert.

On each chart I use 2 post-it index cards which I tape together on the short side. I put a pink hi-lighter line on one edge to help me keep my place. I don’t move the card until after I’ve completed not only the pattern row, but also the next purl-side row.


For me, The color system works better than symbols. As I knit, I usually am muttering, for example “knit 2, over, orange, knit 4, over, orange.”

Finally, I count each column on the purl side to make sure each has the correct number of stitches. It’s super easy to correct a missed yarn over at this point, and missed yarn overs are probably 90% of what screws me up in the first place.

Initially, all this falderal did slow me down. Now I actually think it helps speed me up! I don’t have to ponder each stitch as if it was a mystic rune. (Is this right? I think this is right? Lets see here. . .)

An added benefit is that, if I need to put my knitting down or the kid has an emergency, it is very easy to find my place again. Let’s see, I left off at column 4, 3rd stitch . . . On top of all this, I use a row counter that hangs around my neck. Remember ladies (and Krystofer, of course): Nothing says “knit nerd” like a row counter that hangs around your neck.

Please e-mail me or leave a message here if you have questions. And, in case you're wondering, no -- I'm normally not this Type A. But I am very stubborn, and this stole pattern was initially kicking my butt. We can't have that, can we? (insert Boris Karloff laugh here.)

No comments: